Friday, April 20, 2012

Disney's Typhoon Lagoon

     If you're ever visiting Walt Disney World in Florida, might I suggest this lovely water park? I recently took some time to revisit it (I first went in 1992) and it's just as fun as I remember. I think I enjoyed it a little more than when I was a kid, probably because I can handle the wave pool now. Every 90 seconds, a six foot wave comes crashing across the pool, and if you're a bit daring, you can body surf the crests. There are also several water slides and raft rides, if that's more to your liking, and a lazy river circles the park. There is also a shark reef to dive in, and sandy beaches for sunbathing...

The Legend

According to Disney legend, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon was created by an epic storm.
Surfboards were hurled into palm trees and boats were tossed around like toys.
The typhoon made the storm-soaked Mount Mayday an ideal source for exhilarating waterslides. Surrounding the mountain, a 56-acre topsy-turvy tropical paradise was formed—full of waterways, rivers, rapids and slides.

Miss Tilly

The park's famous icon is an ill-fated shrimp boat named Miss Tilly. She found herself swept up by the twisting tides of the fierce typhoon and came to rest on the peak of Mount Mayday.
Every half hour, the boat's whistle blows and the volcano attempts to dislodge the ship, resulting in an enormous geyser of water.

*****

Check it out if you ever have the chance. I highly recommend it!




No comments:

Post a Comment