Saturday, March 15, 2014

Richard's New Role


Today, Richard’s newest project was announced. He will star in an adaptation of the best-selling novel “Urban Grimshaw and The Shed Crew.” My reaction to this has been strong enough to make this blog post, but first, here is the synopsis from Amazon…

You're twelve years old. Your mother's a junkie and your father might as well be dead. You can't read or write, and you don't go to school. An average day means sitting round a bonfire with your mates smoking drugs, or stealing cars. Welcome to Urban's world. Bernard 'Chop' Hare was on society's margins, living on one of Leeds' roughest estates and with a liking for drink and drugs. So he knew what life in the underclass was like in '90s Britain. But even he was shocked when he met Urban, an illiterate, glue-sniffing twelve-year-old. And through Urban he got to know the Shed Crew -- an anarchic gang of kids between the ages of ten and fourteen; joy-riding, thieving runaways, who were no strangers to drugs or sex. Nearly all had been in care, but few adults really cared. Bernard decided to do what he could. He didn't know what he was letting himself in for.

I’ll just say this up front. And don’t kill me until you’ve heard me out…

When I read this description, I was overcome with disappointment.

Typically, this isn’t the kind of story I enjoy, either in books or in movies. And to be honest, I was thinking that I wouldn’t bother watching it, even if Richard is starring in it. I think I’m still recovering from my despondency about his not being Poldark. But then, I thought about it, and I realized…

I’m a selfish ass.

This is a fantastic opportunity for Richard to showcase his skills as an actor. It’s not a role that will rely on his good looks (Which I’m sure is a relief to him.) This is a gritty role, and the character is the kind of flawed anti-hero role that Richard can really sink his teeth into. I don’t imagine there will be much to “Squee” about with this part, and that’s fantastic for Richard. The more I think about it, the more I’m loving the idea of this movie. What kind of fangirl would I be if I didn’t support this? Richard has chosen a role that will be a boon to his career, and maybe…just maybe…it will FINALLY give him some critical recognition. And what’s wrong with that? Richard has never disappointed me before, and I know he’ll be amazing in this.

I’ll be watching! :D

 

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree!! I think he will really get into this role. Of course, it being Richard, I'm sure he will be adorable, even though the role doesn't depend on his looks. I hope they don't actively try to change his looks for the role, though, like with prosthetics and wigs. Don't need that either. Like he said, you can disappear into a role without that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he'll really disappear into this part. There's nothing glamorous about a drinker/drug addict, and I'm sure he'll be almost unrecognizable in the role.

    Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish him well for the part and hope it's a good film that does well, but yeah, it sounds quite depressing. :/ Ah well. Guess I'll watch it when it's shown on TV.

    ReplyDelete